Thursday 9 September 2010

Reflected light: Check and Log

Check and Log:

Having completed this project exploring reflected light - including the research points exploring Redon and Caulfield I reflect to consider that I have learnt much - and still have much to develop.
I find shadows and light fascinating to look at and continue to struggle to observe the 'mid tones' within and also struggle with simplifying the image however exploring the the shadows of reflected and direct light was extremely helpful and I now recognize clearly also the importance of conveying light accurately to add depth and form to the drawing. Previously I have been careless in my drawings - being fortunate with more luck than judgement.

The exercise of applying the shadows rather than the form was a fabulous learning point in realistically and believably representing a form without actually drawing it! This is a key peice of discovery for me.

So, I had a number of difficulties in separating cast shadow from reflected light and shade but could clearly identify the difference in tone so would on occasion 'work backwards'... however on having identified that could then identify the light source in subsequent attempts within the same picture. Truthfully, I did at one point consider 'well what does it matter' if I draw what I see it should be alright, however on identifying the difference I could see that it does affect the representation and subsequent development of the drawing and depiction.

I have shown how shadow and light follows the contours of the objects by ensuring the tones represent this whilst also introducing the reflection and darkened shadows within those. I have also enjoyed using bold areas of light to enhance the darkness of the shadows in the appropriate areas to convey the shape of objects.

I have really enjoyed this exercise - challenging my focus, understanding and application of learning ...


No comments:

Post a Comment