Thursday 9 September 2010

Exercise: Shadows & reflected light and shade

Using charcoal and putty rubber on A1 paper ...

Really enjoyed this exercise and deliberately used the same coffee pot and mug from the previous exercise as I wasn't convinced on refection that I had truly studied and captured the extremity of shadow. Also, having re-read the previous exercise I was not sure I had approached it correctly in that i sketched loosely the forms before putting in the tones. This time I did! I approached the exercise purely capturing the light and shade and the forms simply emerged almost like magic!!

I am still struggling to 'see' some tones - mid tones in particular and finding myself gravitating towards the extremes initially but am definitely becoming more skilled in identifying the mid ranges and applying my medium accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment