Monday 27 September 2010

Exercise: Composition of natural objects

24.9.10 - 27.9.10

On completing this exercise I decided to do 3 sketches echoing that of the previous exercise to strengthen my learning - and to explore other techniques taken from my previous exercises. I decided upon a composition that were of a "Mediterranean garden' including a sunflower - sadly the flower died before I completed the exercise so my composition was forced to change! An interesting learning point in itself!

Sketch no 1: I used hatching, simple line and simple shading for my first attempt with lighting from behind and a simple straight on view point.

I felt in terms of the natural objects that this simple approach was appropriate and congruent with the subject matter and I liked the effect of light on the back of the objects BUT the drawing lost the necessary shapes and tones to create real interest or depth.

With that in mind I determined that the next sketch would use the dark tones to create the image and I would try a pen rather than a pencil. I also determined that a simpler composition would strengthen the image.

Sketch no 2: Using a simple roller ball pen I embarked upon capturing the image focusing on dark tones and simple lines. I started with the sunflower and the approach worked with good effect. I had a strong line from the side which shined through petals as a great contrast to the flower head. use of the pen however proved to be too harsh for the fruit and veg. My conclusion being that the pen would work far better with man made objects.

Sketch no 3: Taking my 'discovery' from the second sketch I decided to strengthen the light source and changed my perspective and to use both pencil and pen - just to see what would happen. (Sadly the sun flower had gone to the compost so does not feature - note to self: if using perishables do them quickly!) I also resolved to use hatching and short lines to see if I could make it work - despite it being counter intuitive.

The strong light illuminating the outer edges worked well to create sense of positioning and depth. I also took more of an aerial view at 45 degrees which worked better. Surprised to learn that hatching with the including of some short determined lines also worked well creating a depth despite the rounded objects not really having straight lines in reality. The small application of pen also helped determine some interest and was valuable in creating the sketch.

The further simplified composition also worked surprisingly well as shadows are more clearly seen - giving a sense of positioning. I also had relaxed into undertaking the subject as a sketch rather than a finished piece which freed up the exploration of hatch and tone.

Excellent learning.



No comments:

Post a Comment