Tuesday 28 September 2010

Check and log

28 Sep 2010

I have most certainly found and used new ways to use my drawing tools - having previously been very comfortable with charcoal I have discovered real limitations inflexibility to create textures and my own skills in using them. Charcoal is fabulous for creating shade and introducing softness to drawing yet is limited in depicting 'hard' definition, or certainly my skill in doing so is limited in textural depiction with charcoal. Pencil and different hardnesses are far more successful - the pencil allowing control of shape and from whilst shading, hatching and different mark making lend themselves to representing texture of different forms. Ink remains a surprising delight in being able to convey soft, fluid forms whilst also benefiting from firm, hard' representation using different application types. A fluid drop and dribble can create a completely contrasting texture to that deride from the pen driven application. Different application of textures also, in turn create a different mood or feel for a drawing or composition - albeit something determined, purposeful and manmade to that of a more organic depiction.

Meanwhile I have had wildly differing success in implying form with little or no tonal hatching (not that hatching is something I have mastered yet!). My representation of form in my experimentation of texture squares were very poor representation of form whilst frottaging lent little to form itself - they being simply a representation of the thing being 'frottaged'. My composition of cleaning items however do clearly depict (I believe) both tone and form without the use of hatching - the items have a depth, a clear depiction of what they are and are interesting to the eye. It confirms in my mind that there is room for many approaches to depicting an image.

Frottage is an interesting addition to the 'tools' of drawing and one that I would like to employ further - the representation of something 'real' into a representational composition introduces and interesting dimension to a piece. I can see the value of frottage to a number of different compositions - especially a personal representation of something. It clearly has limitations due to it's 2 dimensional, flat qualities but this could be exploited as a contrast within a piece of work or as 'statement' within a work. I also enjoy the immediacy of frottage and can envisage further, yet unknown exploitations.

Once again, fabulous learning with surprising results.

No comments:

Post a Comment