Monday 27 September 2010

Exercise: Still life sketches

22.9.10

To personalise this exercise I decided upon a composition of items depicting 'teenage years'.

Sketch 1: Starting with a number of objects, using hatching and shading lit from the side with side on lighting. I drew the outlines of the objects which worked quite well initially but then became a poor image as I put in shade and tone using hatching and shading. It all became too complicated and looked messy.

Tone was poor and created a flat image that was too complicated to view with the subjects not clearly evident. It was not interesting to view and looked very flat. I decided to try the next sketch with a reduced composition and to emphasise form rather than descriptive outline.

Sketch 2: Reduced the amount of objects in the composition and drew in the shadows and tones rather than the outlines.

Again, I felt that the 'illustration' was poor and the drawing itself was not technically good however the overall effect was improved. The headphone wires complicated the image and was not well represented.

I was also aware that the composition itself did not really 'grab my interest' as an artist and therefore would not for the viewer. Poor. Decided to change the composition again and concentrate on using hatching to develop my skills and see what effect I could achieve. Also decided to change the lighting an my view point.

Sketch 3: I changed the composition introducing an interesting shoe and simplifying the lines of the other objects. I strengthened the light source and changed my position.

Hatching and focusing on tone strengthened the composition with reasonable effect. Depth of tone creates more depth within the picture.

The composition is more interesting and hence makes the picture more interesting - however I could have (on reflection!) strengthened the depth of tone which would have strengthened the composition further. Hatching worked well - but I am still really struggling with hatching!! I have more confidence with charcoal and hence great practice with pencil.



No comments:

Post a Comment