Monday 27 September 2010

Exercise: Observing negative space & perspective

Completed today the exercise observing negative space and perspective ...

Initially caused me some panic as I followed the instructions to the letter which was not an approach I have ever tackled before!!!

I was however fascinated as the image emerged and I relaxed into the process - exploring the negative space was really instructive in developing the images and the drawing very quickly developed with pretty good accuracy. The picture only needing some small tweaks to ensure that the objects were correctly proportioned.

Undertook the first drawing using charcoal and so decided to use a soft pencil for the second piece of the exercise - drawing the outlines without taking my pencil off the board.

I resisted the urge to take my pencil off the board to correct and, again, was surprised at the level of reasonable accuracy. I fully expected it to be a nightmarish mess and needing to do it several times to feel satisfied - however first attempt was successful.

Really good learning as I also realise I do look at negative space to draw and paint so am reassured that this is a good approach. I am more fearful of the next project looking at texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment