Tuesday 28 September 2010

Project using texture

I have had a grand time playing with textures!

As instructed I drew several boxes in my sketch book and then experimented with textures and the use of different materials to help the depiction. I referred back to my previous exercises exploring line making before embarking so I had a good idea of which medium created the most helpful marks.

My real challenge to start with proved that of finding enough textures as of course everything has a texture but I struggled to find things of an interesting or explicit texture to capture.

I accidentally discovered the value of using a tissue to remove ink which worked well for orange peel which I had not envisaged - a heavy blob needed cleaning and hey presto! I also liked using a very soft pencil to represent the fur on a cushion whilst I rediscovered the joy of ink (previously happened upon in my exploration of mark making). I repeated the same texture using different techniques to experiment e.g. a piece of coal using charcoal (effective although indistinct), pencil (reasonable but lacking real definition because of my hatching) and ink (not successful in describing the form but great at depicting the hard texture).

The experimentation of frottage was a revelation and took me back to being a child! I roamed around the house and garden for over an hour experimenting with different surfaces and mediums. I am unsure of how I might use this technique but resolved to explore further.

This exploration also prompted me to sit and draw in my sketch book for the sheer pleasure of it and was more relaxed that I have been for some time and was pleased with my results. I am continually surprised and delighted by how much I am learning and noticeably improving in my work - thinking about my application and being more considered in my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment