Tuesday 28 September 2010

Exercise: A drawing with textures

Tuesday 28th September 2010

Having looked at my earlier experiments depicting texture I embarked upon this exercise initially with some trepidation as it is not easy to represent texture well or convincingly.

I determined that I would gather cleaning products and represent the textures within a composition - initially wanting to use a feather duster as the key object and a dead sunflower head. On gathering my items however they appeared 'un natural' or incongruous and were of strange sizes and dismissed the idea. I instead arranged smaller items and then decided to use frottage as a background!

Capturing my homes edwardian heavily painted and embossed wallpaper through the technique of frottage with a very soft olive drawing pencil I created the background on an A2 peice of drawing paper. I then rearranged my composition and determined that I would use ink and an ink pen to make my drawing - the ink and rigidity of the pen (a cross ink pen) being a good way to capture the bristles of the brush and also the texture of the cloth. I included a spray can (despite it having a smooth texture - deliberately to juxtapose the remaining textures in the drawing) although was unsure of how to represent its texture with pen and ink and concluded I would work it out as I went along. I also overcame the horror of not having any 'correction room' as ink was clearly permanent and decided if it was a disaster I could simply start again - happily that was not needed. I started with the brush bristles and moved on around the picture ...

The smooth texture of the spray can was overcome by the abandonment of the ink pen and the use of a calligraphy brush dipped in thinned ink, and I think makes a good 'relief' in amongst the rest of the texture.

I also made the deliberate decision not to put in all the shadow that the objects on the platform which they stand due to the use of the background frottage as I feel this would have detracted from the textures conveyed - the composition 'working' as it does. Am surprisingly pleased with this drawing in its interest and appeal to the eye - the composition of a 'cross' also working reasonably well.

Am now going to apply this learning into my painting of the 'peacock man' that I am attempting!


No comments:

Post a Comment