Monday 9 August 2010

Transferring learning from Painting 1

Monday 9th August

Whilst undertaking the Drawing 1 course I am also undertaking Painting 1 in parallel and in exploring tone (within the painting course) I found that my previous drawing project (making marks etc) was invaluable and not a little surprising in that I could use the charcoal so much more effectively. I became unafraid to use the side of a charcoal stick to create lines and also the blunt end far more powerfully to create darks. I am sure I would not have attempted to do so in such a defined way previously. I was not necessarily pleased with the literal representation of what I was doing but my mark making was definitely better and more persuasive.

Meantime I have visited the Nottingham Contemporary - exploring the exhibition by the twins Gert and Uwe Tobias and was particularly struck by their 'drawings' created by the use of a type writer. Using simple, marks to create a striking image of delicacy and interest. It really got me thinking about you could use the most mundane of marks to create something really imaginative - which then led to more extravagant and challenging pieces of art. I shall remember that as I move one, as I so want to develop my art work.

No comments:

Post a Comment