Monday 2 August 2010

Log reflecting on mark making project

2nd August 2010

Having completed the Mark Making Project I am startled at how much I have learnt and the variety of marks that may be made using different media, specifically:
  • the differing values and effects of varying hb pencils, not having been aware of the different uses and impressions able to be made by the lighter, finer 3H and 2H pencils - always previously having used the heavier, darker yet softer 2B - 6B pencils
  • the different qualities that different media can represent - softer materials such as charcoal being wonderful for depicting 'softer edge' items or organic things (e.g. people, flowers etc) whilst a harder pencil marks may be better for more man made, specific items (e.g. buildings, furniture etc)
  • experimentation of new media - specifically ink has opened new thoughts to mark making in my drawing and is area that I look forward to developing further
  • the 'cutting back' in charcoal with the use of the putty rubber offered the creation of different mark making that did not allow for great precision but much expression and s an area that I will continue to explore
  • introduction of color was an aspect that I enjoyed and did not consciously undertake but gently gravitated to in all of the exercises - I did experiment however more than previously with pastels and conte crayons, neither of which I found very satisfying. Both being pale and not easily controlled - I did appreciate the translucent nature of them both and welcomed that juxta positioning against the dark charcoal (for example) but as drawing tools I found them difficult to control
  • Holding the different media, particularly pencils, pens and felt tips has introduced a versatility to mark making that I was not previously aware. Holding the pencil/pen further up the stem away for the nib offered a delicacy that I found surprising without necessarily forgoing control of the process itself. This was both helpful and 'liberating' in undertaking the doodling exercise which I initially found difficult to relax into, yet holding my pen differently enabled me to 'free up' and relax into the piece, learn from and also enjoy. Strangely this experience also helped me gain confidence in mark making generally and allowed me to feel comfortable enough to sit outside whilst waiting for a friend to arrive (for an evening out in town) to sit and sketch a local statue - a first for me!
This exercise has significantly developed my consideration of which marks to use, which medium to make the mark in and to be truly thoughtful in application of both - rather than simply and always going with what is nearest to me.

I especially enjoyed the research project - in which I examined Van Gogh's "Pollard Birches" (1884) with the aid of the internet, and was stunned to learn of his use of apparently simple lines and marks to create a complex and evocative illustration. Principally using a combination of vertical and horizontal lines with little apparent use of 'block shading' the artist conveys great depth and expanse within the picture - in addition complex illustration of figures and sheep are captured in the picture that the eye does not immediately settle upon due the the use of darker lines drawing the eye. Different pressure on the pencil also adds additional dimension to the lines and darkness of shading which, alongside the use of light spaces creates an evocative sense of space and bleakness. By contrast the sheep are 'soft' non linear marks, creating a sense of movement and life that the trees do not have. I was left with a real sense of learning that "less is more" and great drawing is exemplified as much by what is not there as much as what is.

Familiar with some of his paintings I was unaware of Van Gogh's drawings and in addition to examining his mark making within the "Pollard Birches" I was inspired to go on and read his biography and learn some more of his artistic career.

I'm now looking forward to applying learning into the next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment