Friday 13 August 2010

Friday 13th August

Have had a fabulous day drawing - taking forward the next stages of my course. Drawing boxes and then cylindrical forms and shapes has really challenged me! Found myself setting up the still life and then doing everything I could to avoid actually tackling it - was seriously scared! Useful to get the hoovering done but less good in applying myself .... once I got over the fear tho I spent deep concentration on what I was doing. The boxes really challenged me - having real difficulty to start with thinking about how everything fitted together but got there in the end. Still struggling with perspective but persevered - at one point I thought I could pretend that one box was not there (as who would know!) but reminded myself of why I'm doing this and plowed on with real success. This work did play to be obsessive need to get things right and hence I spent ages looking and thinking before applying pencil to paper but I subsequently loosened up upon looking at other shapes.

Thinking about how everything is made up of the fundamental forms gave me real freedom to just draw what I was seeing - so much so I gave it a go using pen to test out whether I really could apply my learning. Got some things wrong in terms of size and proportion but could easily identify where and why and was not afraid to try and rectify - despite being in pen!

I'm looking forward to drawing the household shopping still life now and feel less daunted that I could have imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment