Monday 22 August 2011

Exercise:Still life group using line

I decided on the group for this drawing when I tackled pine cones in previous exercises as I principally wanted to test my former learning and to see if I could in fact replicate that which I had done before - my constant fear being (as previously noted) that If I walk away I won't be able to 'do it' again.

The group represents a collection of items taken from my recent holiday in Brittany and conjure strong, warm and joyful feelings - they being drawn in a fine drawing pen, a felt tip pen and a large marker. The fine marker was selected to represent the delicacy of the shells and the points on the chestnuts, whilst the heavier pens were for the heavier items. I chose pens as I welcome the immediacy and commitment that they demand.

On balance I don't think the mixture of the pens has worked particularly well as the chestnuts have become lost and the smooth stone is not well described - I would have liked to use more tone as the stone has so little texture. I perhaps should not have included this in the still life at all and would not do so if repeated. I do however continue to like the use of the pen itself as a variety of marks may be easily made.

Finally I absolutely recognise the value in using items that mean something to me - holding my interest and focus in a way that a non emotive piece would not.


No comments:

Post a Comment